Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-27 11:14:56

Lanark

Display your email address?

I think the wording of the email options during registration could be made a bit clearer.

in Prof_reg.php

'Email setting 1'            =>    'Display your email address.',

could be changed to

'Email setting 1'            =>    'Display your email address to other users.'

That way it sounds less like it's going to print your email address to the public/unregistered users. Of course a spammer could still register and harvest all the addresses, so I wonder if there is a better/safer way of handling this?

I think 99% of people don't use this option as its too risky to have your address harvested.

#2 2014-07-28 11:44:47

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Re: Display your email address?

Thanks, done.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#3 2014-09-07 12:29:35

Lanark

I just noticed today the the descriptive text above these options does actually cover this, but I had totally skimmed over it before.

The current intro text:
"Select whether you want your email address to be viewable to other users or not and if you want other users to be able to send you email via the forum (form email) or not."

I suggest this could be rewritten to be a little less verbose:
"Allow other users to send you email via the forum (form email) or to view your email address".

I feel like I'm nitpicking a little here, but it is important for the registration screen to be as clear and simple as possible as theres a risk of some people not registering at all if they don't understand all the options or it looks too complicated.

#4 2014-09-08 19:36:44

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Yeah, some of these forms are really overly verbose and at the same time the labels could probably be more descriptive in some places...

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Board footer