Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-17 04:30:43

Skyalmian
Website

Show Recent Posts (Not Topics)

(I browsed around for a little bit, didn't see a topic unless I overlooked it.)

In playing around with a test install, I am wondering if there is a recent posts link? Currently, it's "Topics: Posted | New | Active | Unanswered" beneath the main forum bar. Those show thread results, not actual recent posts, though. That functionality exists for profile searches ( _http://fluxbb.org/forums/search.php?action=show_user_posts&user_id=157 ), but not the entire forum. One forum I browse a lot uses "Simple Machines" which has a "View the most recent posts on the forum." ( _http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=recent ) link at the bottom, returning full content of posts.

I also bring this up because I hang out on the _https://bbs.archlinux.org forum, which has tons of activity.

Thank you for your time / reading. smile

Last edited by Skyalmian (2014-06-17 05:09:16)

#2 2014-06-17 05:22:03

Skyalmian
Website

Re: Show Recent Posts (Not Topics)

I should add that the _http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=recent link only returns 100, 10 pages of 10. Maybe that is the default for that forum software, or it is hardcoded. Large forums with good hardware may be able to handle a higher custom return amount.

Last edited by Skyalmian (2014-06-17 05:24:18)

#3 2014-06-17 08:59:44

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Hmm, I don't know. Is there much point in seeing a bunch of posts without their context?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#4 2014-06-17 09:03:20

Skyalmian
Website

It is very useful to see the latest post content, yes. For anything that "catches one's eye", can then just go into the thread for the full context. The key is more than just thread titles readily available; such is the main means by which I follow this _https://cassiopaea.org/forum absolutely massive forum, as an example.

Last edited by Skyalmian (2014-06-17 10:43:04)

#5 2014-06-18 08:19:43

Franz
Lead developer
Website

What do others think?

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#6 2014-06-18 11:27:34

benjawi
Website

Seems kinda pointless. With no context most posts would be pointless. Only the first post in topics could actually mean anything that would make you click into it.

You could end up with a load of posts listed that just say things like "Yeah I know", "awesome", "I don't think that's correct". Shows you absolutely nothing and gives you no reason to go to that thread.

#7 2014-06-18 17:03:14

Smurf
Website

How about an option in the user profile where each user could specify if they want new posts displayed as threads or (latest first) posts? It should be simple enough to display either way.

#8 2014-06-19 07:38:58

chris98
Website

I don't really think that makes much sense. It would just be confusing for normal users, for admins maybe it wouldn't as they would probably review nearly every thread, but it would probably just confuse users as you would have to remember what previously had happened in that thread.

#9 2014-06-20 04:26:38

Skyalmian
Website

chris98 wrote:

It would just be confusing for normal users, for admins maybe it wouldn't as they would probably review nearly every thread

It is possible that that is why it exists on the "Simple Machines" software. A look at the links at the top of such,

Hello Skyalmian
» Show unread posts since last visit.
» Show new replies to your posts.
» View the most recent posts.

all return topics, not posts.

The show-last-100-posts link is placed under "Forum Stats", too:

Forum Stats
3,497,366 Posts in 424,984 Topics by 336,293 Members. Latest Member: hanhtn88
Latest Post: "Re: Vaciar automáticamen..." ( Today at 12:21:16 AM )
View the most recent posts on the forum.
[More Stats]

Last edited by Skyalmian (2014-06-20 04:27:50)

#10 2014-06-29 20:31:59

AracornRed
Website

I think it could be useful (which isn't surprising considering I proposed a mod for it smile).

While it may be confusing to newcomers, regular visitors should have no trouble keeping up with context.  Try a post search with a generic term common in your own forums (for example "game" if a gaming site) and see how hard it is to follow along.  I don't find myself having trouble.

The tricky part is deciding which posts to show and how to sort them.  Do you show only new posts or recent posts or let the user keep paging without limit?  And if you have posts from the same topic on the same page, do you sort them next to each other or keep it purely chronological?

The other problem is the search results page would need some formatting tweaks to make it more readable.  For example it would be good if avatars were shown, and if the topic title stood out more.  (Both of these would be good to have in search results anyway IMO, unless avatars pose performance problems.)

benjawi wrote:

You could end up with a load of posts listed that just say things like "Yeah I know", "awesome", "I don't think that's correct". Shows you absolutely nothing and gives you no reason to go to that thread.

That's a valid point.  I find most of my users either post substantial posts or quote the previous one when they're writing short replies though.

#11 2014-06-29 23:59:07

Skyalmian
Website

AracornRed wrote:

The tricky part is deciding which posts to show and how to sort them. Do you show only new posts or recent posts or let the user keep paging without limit? And if you have posts from the same topic on the same page, do you sort them next to each other or keep it purely chronological?

I wouldn't know. The example given just returns the last 100 posts without any sorting, regardless of whether or not one has an account, thus it's just the recent 100 as known in the database.

Technically you could get fancy, doing the same 100-return, except, say... a) reverse it (instead of the newest posts at the top of page 1, the oldest, and therefore the fastest to disappear, is shown first, with the newest at the bottom of 10) or b) sorting chronologically newest-to-oldest, but if there are multiple posts to a thread, to sort them descending in linear chronological order among the others (maybe visually nesting them to make it obvious), with each thr...but that may be far too complicated to code for the result facepalm, though it would make a bit more sense and would give back some linearity / context.

AracornRed wrote:
benjawi wrote:

That's a valid point. I find most of my users either post substantial posts or quote the previous one when they're writing short replies though.

It depends on the overall "signal to noise ratio" of the forum. (I could give examples of some forums that have far more noise than signal, the kind benjawi mentions, but won't.) On such forums, the noise level is so high that only the topic titles themselves are of any use, and then, it takes time skimming through the threads themselves to find anything worth reading that isn't a 'bump', meme-style image used as a reply, or something else like found on 4chan threads ("peanut gallery" comments).

That said, such forums are little better than IRC channels or 4chan and therefore aren't forums at all, really.

Last edited by Skyalmian (2014-06-30 05:10:34)

Board footer