Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-25 15:55:10

adaur
Developer
Website

2.0 - Delete "Messaging" section in profile.php

For the future 2.0 version, I really think the whole profile should be re-thinked from the scratch, especially the "Messaging" section, old-fashioned to death. Seriously, who has a AOL IM or ICQ profile today? It could be replaced with Twitter username, Facebook name/page, Steam profile, LinkedIn... or simply deleted.

A ticket exists but is 2 years old. Maybe it's time for a decision smile

What do you think?

Last edited by adaur (2012-05-25 15:56:57)

Please excuse my bad english, I'm french tongue.

#2 2012-05-25 15:57:17

Mark

Re: 2.0 - Delete "Messaging" section in profile.php

Im with you on this one smile

#3 2012-05-25 16:11:53

imnotjames

I can dig it.  Which ticket are you referring to?

#4 2012-05-25 16:12:35

arw

i don't understand your title next to the message

you say in title " delete 'messaging' " and in message "profile rethinked and particularily messaging field revamped"

so are you hinting in the "rethink" to delete the messaging tab ? if yes to replace it how ?

otherway I agree it could be good to have a way to easily extend profil field type

Last edited by arw (2012-05-25 16:13:45)

#5 2012-05-25 18:18:12

adaur
Developer
Website

@Mark: smile

@imnotjames: https://fluxbb.org/development/core/tickets/59/

@arw: that's the whole point: what do we want ? re-think this section by adding new fields, integrating them elsewhere, deleting the section ? I don't have a clear-cut opinion right now.

Please excuse my bad english, I'm french tongue.

#6 2012-05-25 23:22:21

Franz
Lead developer
Website

I agree that this cannot stay the way that is and see three realistic options here:

1. Strip the feature completely. People can use their signatures, they know best which profiles they need to link to.

2. Allow board admins to specify types of profiles they want to allow users to add. This sounds complicated when it comes to handling deletion of some of these fields etc.

3. Simply let users add different profile links. This would be a list of profile type (or name) and a link. Kinda like it is done for social networks in Google Contacts, if you happen to know that...

A problem with #2 and #3 is that validation could be tricky - and one would have to make sure the fields cannot be abused.

What do people think? I have difficulties deciding wink

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#7 2013-09-15 10:19:36

Lanark

The way that Metafilter handle this is quite nice - theres a dropdown list of "Social Apps" with about 100 options from 500px to Youtube, and then a box for the username.
Users can add as many or as few Social Apps as they want, and they all get added to the users profile page with a link icon that goes to their social site profile page.

I like this because it gets away from the domination of Facebook/Twitter, and makes it easy to add new sites when the next big thing comes along - the limitation is that it only works for social sites that have user profile pages.

#8 2013-09-15 15:47:16

Franz
Lead developer
Website

That sounds cool, but hard to keep up-to-date. I want to remove the feature, this can be done by an extension.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#9 2014-07-07 18:19:46

Sxderp

I know this thread is really old but I want to say that my forum makes practical use of this section. However, not for any of the currently listed fields.

What I did was implement another field "League Name" where someone can put their League of Legends username in. I also added a small verification that the name exists (so they aren't putting in fake names or in case the accidentally misspelled). In addition to that I added a case where each username can only be linked to one account. However, the one thing I haven't done is actually confirm said person has access to the League account (which I can add if needed).

The reason I've done all this is that we have a spectate request form wherein users can request a high skill player spectate one of their games. If they link their username to the forum account then they have a couple perks:

1)
Nobody else will be able to input their name into the request form.
2)
The form will autofill in their League name when they access the page.

-------------

Side note:
I have to wait thirty minutes between posts? o.0

#10 2014-07-07 19:33:40

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Sxderp wrote:

What I did was implement another field "League Name" where someone can put their League of Legends username in. I also added a small verification that the name exists (so they aren't putting in fake names or in case the accidentally misspelled). In addition to that I added a case where each username can only be linked to one account. However, the one thing I haven't done is actually confirm said person has access to the League account (which I can add if needed).

I think we can easily build a "Custom Profile Fields" extension for this kind of purpose. With easy-to-install extensions I see no reason to put too many features in the core. smile

Sxderp wrote:

I have to wait thirty minutes between posts? o.0

That's an anti-spam measure for new users. As you now have five posts, this limitation is gone. That said: Welcome! smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

#11 2014-07-08 03:13:51

Sxderp

Franz wrote:

I think we can easily build a "Custom Profile Fields" extension for this kind of purpose. With easy-to-install extensions I see no reason to put too many features in the core. smile

I think this will be useful. Considering the number of lines of code I had to edit / add in order to insert one field and integrate it into the database.

#12 2014-07-12 22:48:57

AracornRed
Website

I wonder if the users db table should have only the bare essential, directly forum-related fields in it: user id, user name, password, registered email, date joined, last post id, total posts, user group.  Any other fields would be in a separate table.  There might be a default configuration that would use extra fields in that second table (real name, gender, location, Twitter id, etc) to be shown in profiles, but there would be an admin option to disable them.

Any mods that need to add extra user information (say for social media profiles or social media login info) could use that second table, that way the main user table never gets touched. smile

#13 2014-07-27 12:08:18

Lanark

Franz wrote:

That seems a sensible way forward, by having a customisable extension it also means that if people are members of two related forums (and they both run FluxBB) they will be able to link profiles from one to another.

Board footer