Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-24 15:53:08

Sajuuk

Expanded Who's Online

Currently, the who's online list just shows who is currently logged in and viewing the forum. It would be good to have a separate page that listed all the users and guests online, what they are viewing, their last active time, any IM contact info (if specified) and for those who have permission, the IP address of each user.

#2 2012-05-24 15:55:46

François
Website

Re: Expanded Who's Online

There was a modification who do this with for FluxBB 1.2 ( here : http://www.punres.net/desc.php?pid=65 ), a mod / extension is enough, don't need to be in the core, or not in priority.

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#3 2012-05-24 15:59:32

Sajuuk

Every other software has this as core so I can't see why FluxBB should be an exception.

#4 2012-05-24 16:01:08

Franz
Lead developer
Website

We are not every other software. Sorry.

This is one of the misconception people keep having.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#5 2012-05-24 16:01:59

Sajuuk

I know you aren't but I can't see any reason not to include this as a core feature.

#6 2012-05-24 16:11:54

Newman

Sajuuk wrote:

I know you aren't but I can't see any reason not to include this as a core feature.

I agree with Franz on this.  That part of the software needs to be open for development so users can tackle on new tasks/etc, it does take a performance hit and is not necessarily needed for the core.. I see where you're coming from Sajuuk, it does look like a nice feature and there is that mod François linked you to, so you can enhance it and help develop it into an extension if you like smile

#7 2012-05-24 17:36:46

Mark

Why is it, Everything that every other forum software has, FluxBB HAS TO have too?
If other software's have what you want in them already, why not use them?

#8 2012-05-24 17:43:11

Sajuuk

There are many features that people just expect to see in a forum software. PM's for example. Are you trying to make FluxBB a featureless and boring software ? It has a future but attitudes like yours is what pushes people to avoid the site and this software if they are going to get yelled at for suggesting something that should be there by default.

#9 2012-05-24 18:40:26

adaur
Developer
Website

Sajuuk: PunBB and FluxBB later always had this 'lack' of feature on purpose : FluxBB users want to have a simple and clean bulletin board. If you want a huge number of features, you should choose phpBB, IPB or some other. By the way, you can add mods to you forum currently very easily: Another Private Messaging System offers a one click install out of the box, and the Patcher by daris allows you to install mods with a single click too.

Please excuse my bad english, I'm french tongue.

#10 2012-05-24 18:44:39

Sajuuk

adaur wrote:

Sajuuk: PunBB and FluxBB later always had this 'lack' of feature on purpose : FluxBB users want to have a simple and clean bulletin board. If you want a huge number of features, you should choose phpBB, IPB or some other. By the way, you can add mods to you forum currently very easily: Another Private Messaging System offers a one click install out of the box, and the Patcher by daris allows you to install mods with a single click too.

I know how to install mods. I also don't want to use IPB because it's paid and I don't need everything it has and I don't like phpBB because ... it just sucks.

#11 2012-05-24 19:01:13

Gil
Website

Sajuuk wrote:

There are many features that people just expect to see in a forum software.

True?

PM's for example.

Why? I don't want PM, there is a lot of others external tools for private communications (mail, jabber, skipe), and there is an internal possibility to send mail. Please no PM! (excepted as a plugin, of course)

Are you trying to make FluxBB a featureless and boring software ?

Exactly the contrary I suppose: no boring and useless functions, only useful and needed ones.

It has a future but attitudes like yours is what pushes people to avoid the site and this software if they are going to get yelled at for suggesting something that should be there by default.

Exactly the contrary I could say. If someone want a mega-multi-functions forum, he can use phpBB or another useless and boring giant tool. If he want a fast an concise one, purely dedicated to mandatory and useful functions, he should use fluxBB.
It's so simple.

Last edited by Gil (2012-05-24 19:02:01)

#12 2012-05-24 19:15:34

Newman

Gil wrote:
Sajuuk wrote:

There are many features that people just expect to see in a forum software.

True?

PM's for example.

Why? I don't want PM, there is a lot of others external tools for private communications (mail, jabber, skipe), and there is an internal possibility to send mail. Please no PM! (excepted as a plugin, of course)

Are you trying to make FluxBB a featureless and boring software ?

Exactly the contrary I suppose: no boring and useless functions, only useful and needed ones.

It has a future but attitudes like yours is what pushes people to avoid the site and this software if they are going to get yelled at for suggesting something that should be there by default.

Exactly the contrary I could say. If someone want a mega-multi-functions forum, he can use phpBB or another useless and boring giant tool. If he want a fast an concise one, purely dedicated to mandatory and useful functions, he should use fluxBB.
It's so simple.

I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about, lol.

A PM System will not add 1 ounce of extra performance or bulkiness to the core, it's just the developers don't think it should be in the core for personal reasons. (Which is 100% Fine, because they are the developers am I right?)

On that note, Im not trying to come off as rude, but it seemed like you made it sound like adding a simple PM System will turn this fluxbb into FLUXBULETIN V5.1 or something with insane bulky features, which it adding a PM System will never.

The only issue we are having is I think most of the people here are from the UK and there terms of communication are different then everyone elses, same for me.  I am from USA and we communica online different, the UK might be more into email instead of internal communications on forums, as in the USA Are more the PM route on forums, which both are 100% Okay.  I think we should just drop the conversation about adding PM to the core, because it does not seem like Franz or anyone really wants it in the core.  (Of course my views are 100% opposite but I have every right to a different a opinion then them).

Same for them, they have every right for there opinion. So it's okay.

Last edited by Newman (2012-05-24 19:16:59)

Board footer