Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-05-25 16:00:26

Newman
Member
Registered: 2011-11-05
Posts: 344

Re: A privet message sending system !

imnotjames wrote:
Newman wrote:

Yes I agree with fluxbb being bare-bones.  But I would much rather replace the email system with a PM System...... You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, isn't a forum suppose to want more hits? More visits? More users?  What the heck are you trying to do on a forum if you don't succeed in what I explained above? Just that good "feeling" of a forum? Your argument is absolutely ludicrous as well. I could also say other areas are a code bloat, RSS feeders? Absolutely worthless feature, parsing bbcode each page refresh instead of storing it in HTML is probably the worst performance I have ever seen on a forum.  But that's a totally different argument if you want to get into that you should "Email ME!" Yeah right! I would never respond to you in that email.  But hey, if it was a Private Message, I would.  Because to me, emails are for business purposes only, not to chat with some guy on fluxbb.  But it's whatever.

A forum is meant to act as a public medium of communication between people.

You also don't seem to understand what I meant by code bloat.  I don't mean performance, I mean the amount of code it takes to implement a feature.  If you include the feature for private messaging, you also must include code to turn it off, to block specific users from sending private messages, handling of email notifications of private messaging, etc.

RSS feeds aren't in the 2.0 branch as far as I see, and BBCode isn't going to be in core either.



Just wondering, do you talk to friends in real life that you don't want other friends to hear? Isn't this common sense or am I missing something here?

Offline

#52 2012-05-25 16:11:16

imnotjames
Member
Registered: 2012-05-25
Posts: 8

Re: A privet message sending system !

Newman wrote:

Just wondering, do you talk to friends in real life that you don't want other friends to hear? Isn't this common sense or am I missing something here?

I do talk to my friends in real life, but I expect other people to hear me when I talk at a town meeeting or some other public forum.  Why does this pertain to whether or not a feature deserves to be in core rather than exist as a plugin?

Offline

#53 2012-05-25 16:29:59

Newman
Member
Registered: 2011-11-05
Posts: 344

Re: A privet message sending system !

imnotjames wrote:
Newman wrote:

Just wondering, do you talk to friends in real life that you don't want other friends to hear? Isn't this common sense or am I missing something here?

I do talk to my friends in real life, but I expect other people to hear me when I talk at a town meeeting or some other public forum.  Why does this pertain to whether or not a feature deserves to be in core rather than exist as a plugin?

Ugh.. because maybe you should relate a forum to real life discussion?

Offline

#54 2012-05-25 16:43:59

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
From: Paris - France
Registered: 2010-01-26
Posts: 493
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

Newman wrote:

People should be allowed to send pm's to each other regardless if you're the admin of the forum or not, whatever they send in PM's is none of our business anyway.  So you're wrong about having a responsibility for messages that are "Written" while anyone can send anything in a PM, that's the risk you're going to take.  It's not bad.  Just tell your users to delete it or ignore it.

Newman, My position is very clear, even if you say I'm wrong: these are MY forums, I am the webmaster and I DO NOT WANT the possibility that members use PM inside my forums. That's all.
This is my absolute right in the same way that I do not allow guests to be able to write in forums, except in the forum "test".


Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

Offline

#55 2012-05-25 17:06:10

imnotjames
Member
Registered: 2012-05-25
Posts: 8

Re: A privet message sending system !

Newman wrote:

Ugh.. because maybe you should relate a forum to real life discussion?

A forum is like a real life forum.

An email is like a real life mail.

An instant message is like a real life discussion.

Offline

#56 2012-05-25 17:33:27

Newman
Member
Registered: 2011-11-05
Posts: 344

Re: A privet message sending system !

imnotjames wrote:
Newman wrote:

Ugh.. because maybe you should relate a forum to real life discussion?

A forum is like a real life forum.

An email is like a real life mail.

An instant message is like a real life discussion.


And a Private Message is something you should tell a friend of your choice.

Do I really want to tell my friends about a problem with my private parts? I would much rather PM or Message my mom so I can go to the doctor, same thing.

I still don't see your argument.

Offline

#57 2012-05-25 17:34:19

Newman
Member
Registered: 2011-11-05
Posts: 344

Re: A privet message sending system !

Otomatic wrote:
Newman wrote:

People should be allowed to send pm's to each other regardless if you're the admin of the forum or not, whatever they send in PM's is none of our business anyway.  So you're wrong about having a responsibility for messages that are "Written" while anyone can send anything in a PM, that's the risk you're going to take.  It's not bad.  Just tell your users to delete it or ignore it.

Newman, My position is very clear, even if you say I'm wrong: these are MY forums, I am the webmaster and I DO NOT WANT the possibility that members use PM inside my forums. That's all.
This is my absolute right in the same way that I do not allow guests to be able to write in forums, except in the forum "test".


And you have every right to your opinion, but I think your idea is wrong and ruining fluxbb and is an insane idea to have.  I have every right to my opinion too, but you have not provided any reasoning behind your argument instead of just "It's my forum" which is a lame attempt.

Please read my USERS a and USERS B scenario I did a couple posts back...

Last edited by Newman (2012-05-25 17:35:28)

Offline

#58 2012-05-26 19:32:16

Sajuuk
Member
Registered: 2010-04-17
Posts: 36

Re: A privet message sending system !

Otomatic wrote:
Newman wrote:

People should be allowed to send pm's to each other regardless if you're the admin of the forum or not, whatever they send in PM's is none of our business anyway.  So you're wrong about having a responsibility for messages that are "Written" while anyone can send anything in a PM, that's the risk you're going to take.  It's not bad.  Just tell your users to delete it or ignore it.

Newman, My position is very clear, even if you say I'm wrong: these are MY forums, I am the webmaster and I DO NOT WANT the possibility that members use PM inside my forums. That's all.
This is my absolute right in the same way that I do not allow guests to be able to write in forums, except in the forum "test".

So wait, because you don't want people to PM on your forum, means everyone else should suffer ?

That's just pathetic. You ever heard of SETTINGS ? Yeah, those things that allow you to DISABLE features you DON'T WANT ? If you actually think about it properly, then if the PM system was made core, there would be a SETTING for those who DON'T WANT it

Half of the users here must be in the stone age, just because PunBB does not have PM's doesn't instantly mean a fork should blindly follow the original.

Newman has made a large number of valid points and all people are doing is talking him down for no reason just to pad their own opinions that are invalid.

Also some of the stuff I said was in a sarcastic tone due to the fact people are not really reading posts properly and making random assumptions.

Last edited by Sajuuk (2012-05-26 19:48:32)

Offline

#59 2012-05-26 19:49:33

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,047
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

Sajuuk wrote:

That's just pathetic. You ever heard of SETTINGS ? Yeah, those things that allow you to DISABLE features you DON'T WANT ? If you actually think about it properly, then if the PM system was made core, there would be a SETTING for those who DON'T WANT it

Extensions will work the same way, just the other way around - if you need PMs, you will have no difficulty enabling them.


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#60 2012-05-26 19:59:23

Sajuuk
Member
Registered: 2010-04-17
Posts: 36

Re: A privet message sending system !

imnotjames wrote:

BBCode isn't going to be in core either.

That's just the worst decision I have ever heard. If you have no BBCode, there's no point calling this a forum because that is just one of the most required features EVERY SINGLE site that is either using a custom coded forum or a premade software (mybb and fluxbb) needs. If that's removed, then FluxBB should just start being called something else, because it's not a BB without the BBCode.

Offline

#61 2012-05-26 20:16:50

Newman
Member
Registered: 2011-11-05
Posts: 344

Re: A privet message sending system !

Sajuuk I think he meant a bbcode editor tongue

Offline

#62 2012-05-26 20:26:24

Franz
Lead developer
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 6,047
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

Yeah, probably just a typo. Never heard of those plans (and one might think I should have)...


fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Offline

#63 2012-05-26 23:37:53

FSX
Former Developer
From: NL
Registered: 2008-05-09
Posts: 818
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

Why is my post completely ignored? Were my arguments too strong?! wink

Please don't get too aggressive. Don't call other peoples opinion pathetic. Or use all-caps words. You shouldn't shout in discussions. Readability isn't improved either. smile

We're not blindly following PunBB. If we did we would use the 1.3 codebase.

Last edited by FSX (2012-05-26 23:39:25)

Offline

#64 2012-05-27 00:33:11

imnotjames
Member
Registered: 2012-05-25
Posts: 8

Re: A privet message sending system !

Franz wrote:

Yeah, probably just a typo. Never heard of those plans (and one might think I should have)...

I'm sorry, my misunderstanding.

I was under the impression the parser class would pull the bbcode parser from a module, so that other parsers would be able to be used instead of bbcode - or along side it.

And aside from the quote bbcode and smilies (which aren't exactly BBCode), I don't exactly see BBCode being used all that much.  I'm not sure how it's 'essential' to communication, but I'm apparently old fashioned. [:

Newman, your user A/B idea isn't how it works as I see it.  Usually, a user will send a PM and the next time the person logs in to check the forums - as they would have any other time, they will reply to the PM.  Sometimes up to weeks.  Unless, of course, they have email notifications, and they get an email notification that they received a PM.  And since the user I'm referring to in this example is just how I do things, I get an email notification pushed to my phone just like I'd get an email pushed to my phone.  Only difference is that I will not reply to an email notification of a PM on a forum right away, and I will to a regular email.

Last edited by imnotjames (2012-05-27 00:36:15)

Offline

#65 2012-05-31 15:17:15

iatkrox
Member
From: US
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 89
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

Oh....... after a one week........... I started the topic but now i think most of guys have the problem about this.... Any way but now I'm so upset sad about "NewMan" because he got some grate ideas same like me wink... hm... any way thanks for all the developers and members to doping their ideas !!!! big_smile big_smile

Iatkrox


While most are dreaming of success, winners wake-up and work hard to achieve it.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB 1.5.8