Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-23 11:03:49

iatkrox
Website

A privet message sending system !

Guys what do you think about this ??? I think it's more impotent to fluxbb !

While most are dreaming of success, winners wake-up and work hard to achieve it.

#2 2012-05-23 12:31:10

adaur
Developer
Website

Re: A privet message sending system !

https://fluxbb.org/docs/unfeatures

Private Messages

Granted, private messages are quite a popular feature in some forums. However, this function actually has nothing to do with the core aim of the software. You don't really need a copy of what standard email already gives you, inside a forum. If you really need to get in touch with other users privately, you can always contact them via the email form.

Please excuse my bad english, I'm french tongue.

#3 2012-05-23 15:16:36

Sajuuk

It's a defacto feature of nearly every single forum software. I don't see why this can't be implemented as core. That reasoning for not implementing it is a bad decision.

#4 2012-05-23 15:32:30

Newman

adaur wrote:

https://fluxbb.org/docs/unfeatures

Private Messages

Granted, private messages are quite a popular feature in some forums. However, this function actually has nothing to do with the core aim of the software. You don't really need a copy of what standard email already gives you, inside a forum. If you really need to get in touch with other users privately, you can always contact them via the email form.

That's the most outrageous claim I have ever read.

Private Messaging is essential for forum softwares, You don't realize how much active your community gets when adding such a feature...  I lol hard everytime I read that.  It should be in the core, and it's 100% essential.

The PM System is more essential then the stupid email system that's built in.  No one uses email for communication, herp a derp.

I would love for the developers to tell me one reason why a PM System is not an essential piece to a forum, Im waiting ^^

Last edited by Newman (2012-05-23 15:33:08)

#5 2012-05-23 16:00:47

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Newman wrote:

No one uses email for communication

Hi,
It is not enough to say something to make it true.
Where your statistics come from?
How were they calculated?
What are your sources proved?

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#6 2012-05-23 17:25:06

Mark

Newman wrote:

I for one prefer to use emails rather than private messages.
I can get to emails easier on my phone than private messages.

#7 2012-05-23 17:45:44

Newman

Otomatic wrote:
Newman wrote:

Hi,
It is not enough to say something to make it true.
Where your statistics come from?
How were they calculated?
What are your sources proved?

It should be common sense that any board where users communicate should have a way of private messaging.  am I missing something here?

#8 2012-05-23 18:04:16

Mark

Are emails not private?

#9 2012-05-23 18:05:23

Sajuuk

Newman is completely right. Email is no longer the king of private contact. When I find a forum software I expect Private Messaging to be core, not as a plugin.

@Mark: And you think everyone wants every Tom, Dick and Harry to be randomly sending them emails ? I'm sure there's many people who refuse to divulge their emails publically on a community forum where any random person and spambot can see it. I certainly don't want to make my email address completely public on a forum.

Last edited by Sajuuk (2012-05-23 18:10:03)

#10 2012-05-23 18:09:49

Mark

Thats why its an email system which doesn't show your email address.

#11 2012-05-23 18:11:14

Sajuuk

Mark wrote:

Thats why its an email system which doesn't show your email address.

That's still not a valid reason to leave out one of the defacto forum software features. Heck, even the forum software I'm developing myself has it. FluxBB is no exception and its claims that it's not a core aim of the software is outrageous.

Last edited by Sajuuk (2012-05-23 18:16:25)

#12 2012-05-23 18:18:33

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Sajuuk wrote:

That's still not a valid reason to leave out one of the defacto forum software features. Heck, even the forum software I'm developing myself has it.

Wonderful. Maybe.

Let me quote our about page.

FluxBB was conceived and designed to be fast and light with less of the "not so essential" features that some of the other forums have whilst not sacrificing essential functionality or usability.

That is the reason why we don't have a PM system in core, and why it will stay that way.

I know enough people on this forum that are thankful for FluxBB not including a PM system. Nobody forces you to use FluxBB, and if you cannot agree, then that is fine. Not wrong, not right, just fine.

We totally realize that we limit our audience by not including some features people might want. But claiming that our way of doing (or not doing, for that matter) things is "outrageous" seems a little far-fetched. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#13 2012-05-23 19:11:09

Newman

Having a pm system (if coded properly) will not take no performance hit at all.... Fluxbb is one of a kind forum software, but sadly the developers do not like to enhance it.. I know you guys do a good job releasing some updates here and there, but there is nothing drastic lately, months almost years that you guys have done.  That quote from the about me page simply tells me that "Adding a PM System" will make the software slower and bulky, which is not true at all.  The only way you're going to make this software bulky is if you start adding features like topic ratings/thank you post/all other stuff vbulletin/ipb and other trashy software has.  A simple messaging system is completely fine.  But I mean you can do whatever you want to do, this is just advice.  I am just saying, there have been times where I want to send a message to someone here on fluxbb, but figured meh im not going to send a whole email just to say hi or ask a question, seems pointless.

Im not trying to sound like a prick when I say it's outrageous, im just saying it sounds kinda outrageous that you guys don't have a PM System for the core, like I said it's essential. I still have not heard an argument from you guys that will make me think otherwise. 

Franz wrote:

FluxBB was conceived and designed to be fast and light with less of the "not so essential" features that some of the other forums have whilst not sacrificing essential functionality or usability.

Having "not so essential" features is "Outrageous", especially for new people that have no idea how to code and want to fluxbb, they will make a topic "How do members send pm's", you will be like "Oh you have to go download this/blah/blah/blah".  Then they will be like "huh"?  That even ads more support/workload on the developers to go out of there way to help.  See where im going?

mark wrote:

That's true, but what does it hurt to have a pm system? When you're browsing the forum you don't want to keep checking your email all the time right? Would be pretty annoying.  +PM communication helps make the community at the forum more active, stay on-line longer, the list goes on.  Like I said, it's an essential part of a forum.

edit: You know what would also drastically help speed/performance? Caching forum pages like index/etc.  Something that maybe I am not that smart to develop, but shouldn't the developers being work on something like that? Wheres smartys at/etc?

Last edited by Newman (2012-05-23 19:12:12)

#14 2012-05-24 09:38:37

iatkrox
Website

Newman wrote:

Having a pm system (if coded properly) will not take no performance hit at all.... Fluxbb is one of a kind forum software, but sadly the developers do not like to enhance it.. I know you guys do a good job releasing some updates here and there, but there is nothing drastic lately, months almost years that you guys have done.  That quote from the about me page simply tells me that "Adding a PM System" will make the software slower and bulky, which is not true at all.  The only way you're going to make this software bulky is if you start adding features like topic ratings/thank you post/all other stuff vbulletin/ipb and other trashy software has.  A simple messaging system is completely fine.  But I mean you can do whatever you want to do, this is just advice.  I am just saying, there have been times where I want to send a message to someone here on fluxbb, but figured meh im not going to send a whole email just to say hi or ask a question, seems pointless.

Im not trying to sound like a prick when I say it's outrageous, im just saying it sounds kinda outrageous that you guys don't have a PM System for the core, like I said it's essential. I still have not heard an argument from you guys that will make me think otherwise. 

Franz wrote:

Having "not so essential" features is "Outrageous", especially for new people that have no idea how to code and want to fluxbb, they will make a topic "How do members send pm's", you will be like "Oh you have to go download this/blah/blah/blah".  Then they will be like "huh"?  That even ads more support/workload on the developers to go out of there way to help.  See where im going?

mark wrote:

That's true, but what does it hurt to have a pm system? When you're browsing the forum you don't want to keep checking your email all the time right? Would be pretty annoying.  +PM communication helps make the community at the forum more active, stay on-line longer, the list goes on.  Like I said, it's an essential part of a forum.

edit: You know what would also drastically help speed/performance? Caching forum pages like index/etc.  Something that maybe I am not that smart to develop, but shouldn't the developers being work on something like that? Wheres smartys at/etc?

I'm agreed with Newman   smile and please try to understand about usefulness of PM system !

While most are dreaming of success, winners wake-up and work hard to achieve it.

#15 2012-05-24 14:25:55

Mark

iatkrox wrote:

and please try to understand about usefulness of PM system !

No one has said its not useful. Its just not a must.

#16 2012-05-24 14:32:16

Newman

Mark wrote:
iatkrox wrote:

and please try to understand about usefulness of PM system !

No one has said its not useful. Its just not a must.

Having a email system is not a "Must" as in compared to having a in-line PM System?

The email system barely ever get's used, why use the phpmailer function which uses more resources then sending a simple PM, isn't this forum software supposed to be lightweight? How is that when phpmailer function uses more resources to send out a mail then a simple Private Message?

Herp a derp

If you really want to stand on your argument that a PM System is not a "essential part" in a forum, I pitty you.
Go to Vbulletin,punbb,ipb,any other companies and make a topic with a Poll

"Is a PM System a Must to have in a Forum Software"

Please come back and give me the results.  I would love to see them wink

Last edited by Newman (2012-05-24 14:33:43)

#17 2012-05-24 14:33:51

Mark

Ok.

So lets say you have lost your password any you can not login. A private message gets sent to you.
How do you get it if you can't login?
Doh! You have to send it via email instead.

#18 2012-05-24 14:43:34

Sajuuk

Mark wrote:

Ok.

So lets say you have lost your password any you can not login. A private message gets sent to you.

Well duh, those get sent by email. That's been the norm for every software. You are completely missing the point, you are trying to say that we're asking for everything to be changed from email to PM's, which is incorrect. All people are asking is that a Private Messaging system be added to the core, is it really that difficult ?

#19 2012-05-24 14:46:06

Newman

Mark wrote:

Ok.

Use the "Lost password recovery" link?

Am I missing something?  If you signed up with a fake email, that's your fault not the server administrators. 

I am right on this 100%, there is not if, buts or nothing that will make you conceive me to think otherwise, a PM System is 100% essential to any forum software regardless if it's "super lightweight" or w/e.

With that said, Im done with this thread, have a good day.

#20 2012-05-24 15:53:38

François
Website

With a FluxBB 2.0 who (normally) permit you to install extensions in 1 click, does we really need to make the PM feature in the core ??

Sorry for my English, I'm French

#21 2012-05-24 16:00:37

Sajuuk

François wrote:

With a FluxBB 2.0 who (normally) permit you to install extensions in 1 click, does we really need to make the PM feature in the core ??

Yes it does need to be core. For FluxBB to get more people, more features that are modifications need to be made core. I can assure you that FluxBB would get more interested forum users when features like this get added.

#22 2012-05-24 16:14:13

Otomatic
FluxBB Donor
Website

Hi,
If a future version of FluxBB contain a PM in the core, I WANT that there is an administrative option to completely disable this feature.

Ce n'est pas parce que l'erreur se propage qu'elle devient vérité. Ghandi
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation. Ghandi

#23 2012-05-24 16:14:40

Franz
Lead developer
Website

The way I envision v2.0 is like the original Firefox: you have a base platform that brings all of the required features, but not much more.

Everything else (and yes, enough people consider private messaging to be non-essential) can be installed through extensions, so that everyone can have what they really want, but also not much more.

Maybe that helps understanding the idea a little bit better...

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

#24 2012-05-24 16:20:56

Sajuuk

Otomatic wrote:

Hi,
If a future version of FluxBB contain a PM in the core, I WANT that there is an administrative option to completely disable this feature.

Of course there would be a setting to disable it. I don't know why you would want to do that though.

Franz wrote:

(and yes, enough people consider private messaging to be non-essential)

Like who ?

Maybe that helps understanding the idea a little bit better...

No it just shows me more that you need to include this feature because I see no reasons anywhere not to include it except a personal decision to say no for no reason to this suggestion.

#25 2012-05-24 16:24:57

Franz
Lead developer
Website

Otomatic wrote:

Hi,

Sajuuk wrote:
Franz wrote:

(and yes, enough people consider private messaging to be non-essential)

Like who ?

I find it funny that both of these can be found in one post. smile

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

Board footer