Forums

Unfortunately no one can be told what FluxBB is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-28 13:39:24

MichaelBluejay

Moderate initial post (feature request)

Apologies if this already exists or has been suggested and I couldn't find it.

Some forum software has a "moderate a new user's first post" feature to prevent spam.  Having the ability to moderate the initial post would probably allow me to prevent 99% of spam to my forum.

#2 2008-08-28 13:51:13

Jérémie
Website

Re: Moderate initial post (feature request)

This could probably be done with an extension.

#3 2008-08-28 14:09:35

eternal243

this is a good idea for an extension, i would make sure to use this feature if it was made available

I support: FluxBB & Habari

#4 2014-06-30 19:54:31

Philippe

This is for sure the way to go to fight spammer (both human and robots). The captcha module does nothing for human spammer.  I think also user registration should be performed only once the first post has been accepted. An account is only useful when you want to post something. 90% of my registered user are spammers. Only 5% of that number post something not related to the current topic. I spend 5 minutes every morning deleting spam user. Last thing, user should gain points each time a post is accepted.

#5 2014-06-30 21:08:56

MichaelBluejay

I find FluxBB pretty useless for both preventing and dealing with spam.  But I'm stuck with it until I have time to install something else and port all the existing users and discussions.  In the meantime, I've hacked it to prevent most bot registrations, and to make it easier to delete spammers.

Also, here's a way to prevent spam floods by the same user:  In Administration > User Groups, have new users start off in a Newbie group, and set them to Promote to "Members" with 2 posts.  Then, at the bottom of the page, set the "Post flood interval" to 9999 (the maximum value allowed).  What this does is that after a new user makes their first post, they can't post again for almost three hours.  Hopefully that will give you time to notice them and delete them if their first post was spam.

#6 2014-06-30 21:16:18

AracornRed
Website

Philippe wrote:

I think also user registration should be performed only once the first post has been accepted. An account is only useful when you want to post something.

There are lots of "lurkers" who gain benefit being registered by being able to see what posts are new since their last visit, even if they don't post themselves.

Philippe wrote:

Last thing, user should gain points each time a post is accepted.

That's basically what the built-in user ranks feature does.  If you delete a user's post, I'm assuming if it knocks his post count down to the rank below then he'll be demoted.

Try the Very Simple Anti Bot Registration mod (be sure to set at least a few different questions), and disable links for first-time posters.  That should help with a lot of the spam.

Regarding the original topic (which is almost six years old), it's basically referring to pre-moderation, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a mod here that does it.

#7 2014-07-01 08:26:33

Franz
Lead developer
Website

A moderation queue is one of the extensions I want to build (or have built) for 2.0. It just makes sense.

MichaelBluejay wrote:

Also, here's a way to prevent spam floods by the same user:  In Administration > User Groups, have new users start off in a Newbie group, and set them to Promote to "Members" with 2 posts.  Then, at the bottom of the page, set the "Post flood interval" to 9999 (the maximum value allowed).  What this does is that after a new user makes their first post, they can't post again for almost three hours.  Hopefully that will give you time to notice them and delete them if their first post was spam.

That's a cool idea actually. I implemented that here.

AracornRed wrote:

That's basically what the built-in user ranks feature does.  If you delete a user's post, I'm assuming if it knocks his post count down to the rank below then he'll be demoted.

Nah, that does not work unfortunately. The user post count is a simple counter that counts all posts a user has ever made, not the posts that still exist.

fluxbb.de | develoPHP

"As code is more often read than written it's really important to write clean code."

Board footer